Sunday, January 17, 2010

Charlie Murphy


Ali ripped the stage and killed the audience with his quick fire wit putting the out a hater's smoke as he attempted to heckle him about his Charlie Brown sweater. I literally fell out of my chair when he spoke of how his little girl picked up some foul phrases she overheard him say and repeat them. "Daddy, Didnt you hear me witcha Funky @SS!!!"

Freeze Love was hilarious, absolutely hilarious!!! I could totally identify with being mistaken for Latina whenever Im in NYC. People constantly walk up to me and go off in Spanish. When I tell them I don't speak spanish, it's almost like you've slapped their mama... "Ju dont speak agh no, no, espanish?? I was actually touched by a story he shared about his aprehension with performing in AL-A-BAMA as he imitated the sounds of a run-a-way slave being chased by Skeeter & Bubba to the realization of MLK's dream as he watched two lil boys one white one black play in the pool of his posh hotel. It was at that moment he realized how real MLK's dream is. How appropriate on this holiday weekend?

Headliner Charlie Murphy sold out The Improv all three nights of his tour. His set was filled with jokes about everything from race to politics. Of course he spoke on his legendary role on the Dave Chapelle show. Murphy shared experiences of having his name amplified by the world. "No one says my name anymore, everyone yells my name... CHARLIE MURPHY." (Im partial to DARKNESS.) Another True Hollywood story... Murphy recalls even bums on the streets of San Francisco rise out of druken stupors to chant his name CHARLIE MURPHY!!!!
I caught up with the stand up guy backstage and we chopped it up about his future. He is currently promoting his book "The Making Of A Stand Up Guy" which can be picked up at your major bookstores. I reminisced about the first time I saw him on the big screen in Mo Betta Blues and Harlem Knights and asked him which he preferred acting or comedy. Comedy was his answer. I personally would love to see him have his own variety show. HELLO COMEDY CENTRAL!!!! Get on it. Before parting Murphy expressed his love for the city of Houston because Houston always gives him love.
I first met Charlie Murphy last year through a family member and mutual friend (What up Rich!) and definately respect his craftsmanship. Being a comedian is much like a athlete... there is endurance, timing and punches and Ali, Freezelove and Charlie Murphy have them all. Good Luck to you in your future career endeavors and I look forward to working together again soon.
Giggles ;>
K. Anntionette

No comments: