Friday, October 17, 2008

Jay Z @HOB Allow me to re-introduce myself my name is ...


















First & Foremost I would like to Thank a special someone for hooking me up with the privilege to cover the performance tonight. I know that sometimes you value your privacy so I won’t put your name out there but... you know who you are and in my private way I want to publicly say THANK YOU!!! ;>

Thursday night Houston was filled with numerous star studded events. For instance the “New” New Kids to Grown @ss Men on the Block at the Toyota Center was filled with die hard boy band fans. Halle Berry’s s-ex addict hubby on the comeback Eric Benet & new buzz artist Dwele @ The Arena Theatre. But if you asked me there was only one spot to be and that was @The House of Blues with none other than JAY Z.

The Houston social elite came out to give Jay Z the proper reception that he so deserves with a sold out standing room only concert. We southerners would have it no other way, after all this is the city that cultivated his superstar wife. We got to show love. (C’mon, we all know y'all married.) ;>

Jay Z rocked the House of Blues with a 12 piece band accompanied by DJ AM (for those of you who don’t know he used to date Nicole Ritchie and just recently survived a plane crash. GOD Hath Mercy.) I’ve said this once before but the mark of a true performer is one who can hold the stage down with a mic & dj. (No extra homeboys blockin’ & jockin') But…Jay took it a step further and rocked it with a live band. Very impressive. I was equally impressed with his political stance as he encouraged attendee's to vote he made it no secret who would be getting his vote when he paraphrased on of his popular song's as a possible campaign slogan "99 problems but a Bitch ain't one! If I could've made one critique it would be that I would've like to have seen a performance with Scarface or Bun B. Believe it or not I kind of understand why Beyonce didn’t grace the stage. I think it’s one of the many ways that they keep their private lives separate from thier career. Although this is her hometown, this was her husband’s night and I can respect that. (Someone bet me she would make an appearence, my PR mind was like I doubt it. I should've took that bet.)

On a personal note, tonight was one of the many full circle life moments that I sometimes have covering events of this nature. I’ve caught up with Jay Z several times throughout my career and each time I see him he has progressed to a larger then life status. But I will never forget the first time I met him at the Atlanta Freaknik back in 1994. Me & my Houston “get it” girls took a road trip down to witness the legend that was Freaknik.

We stayed at one of the best hotels in Atlanta because that’s how we “get-it” girls from Houston do. We pulled up to the hotel & a couple of east coast guys were hanging out at the valet stand. (Southern girls are suckers for an east coast accent as well as east coast men love to make a southern girls blush.) The bell man was taking forever to check us in so we decided to lug our bags ourselves. “The east coast guys” just so happened to be staying on our floor and offered their assistance. (Who said southern men were the only one with manners?)

When they reached our room they dropped the bags at the door (We weren’t those kind of “get-it” girls) and exchanged introductions. I introduced myself as an “aspiring screenwriter” (that was an old dream of mine and I use to luv the word aspiring) Two of the east coast dudes were entrepreneur’s who were starting their own record label and one of them was a rapper. “The east-coast dude’s” encouraged us to listen to their tape (I’m dating myself) which had a logo of a champagne bottle with bubble’s coming out of the top. I held the tape in my hand and rolled my eyes (I was not impressed with the logo at all.) So I asked why a champagne bottle and one of them said in a Dave Chapelle voice "because it’s a celebration bitches!!!!” I’m just kidding. I don’t remember the answer but it had something to do with celebrating.

We corresponded over the course of the Freaknik weekend (which was an event that literally changed my life) Exchanged party tips & sips from red plastic cups. (You have to wait for the book… and no, it ain’t gonna be no groupie chicken head-bobbin tell all book like Ms. Karrine. I said it before & I’ll say it again we weren’t those kind of “get-it” girls. We were the “get-it” dream girls!! There was an aspiring writer, rapper, model, actress in my “get-it” girl crew.)

On the last day as we pulled out of the hotel we took a picture of the east coast gentlemen who just so happened to be sitting on a curb. The "east coast rapper guy" was staring off into the distance while the fast talking one was motioning with his hands. On that long 10 hour ride back to Houston I popped in the champagne bubble tape & fell in love with the lyrical flow of Jay Z & I've been buzzin' ever since. It wasn't until years later when D'Law-la (code name) finally fufilled her dream of moving to the big city of dreams & the aspiring writer who changed plans and became a publicist for a major record label...that we realized while at a movie premiere for a rapper/mogul turned CEO. That the "east coast dudes" we met at Freaknik would later come to be known as Damon Dash & Jay Z. Of course there's more to the story but I've reminisce too long. (D’Law-la, if you are reading this in NYC. Yes I’mma put you on blast. Can you just please send me the picture of Jay & Dame on the curb so I can post it? I’ll take my chances with a lawsuit. Y’all it’s not a bad pic. Nothing that would compromise his image but it was way before he became a megastar. Let me put it to you like this his bracelet was an linked styled bracelet therefore it was like an ice tray without the ice. But...Damn did he make up for lost time.)

You may ask yourself why “I’m taking out this time, to give you a piece of my mind "cause you can’t knock the hustle…Who do you think you are?



Baby, One day you'll be a star.












Luv;>
K. Anntionette

Special Thanks to all the wonderful staff @ The House of Blues, Rocky Ocanas of the Foundation Room you took real good care of ya girl, Tiffany Thompson & Uncle-Brother James Prince

No comments: