Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cheers!!! @The Tasting Room


Saturday afternoon I took a international flight that connected through four countries. My 1st destination was in the region of Marche, Italy. The 2nd stop was in the region of burgundy, France. On my 3rd journey I found myself in Colchagua, Chile I was so engaged in a conversation with a fellow traveler that I missed my last flight to Napa Valley. Some how three hours later I arrived back at my original destination The Tasting Room @ Uptown Park.

Ok! I’m fly but not that fly. September 6 my good friend & sommelier Iris Allen invited me to take a wine flight called "Around the World in just Four Wines" presented by Mike Landry of Pioneer.

Social Privy Tip> A wine flight is a tasting pour (2.5oz) of four different wines served next to each other. Saturday’s Flight consisted of :
The 1st selection 2006 Umani Ronchi ‘Casa di Serra’Verdicchio
The 2nd selection 2006 Champy Chardonnay ‘Signature’
3rd selection 2005 Odfjell Vineyards Malbec (I really liked this one I’m a red girl.)
4th selection 2006 Orin Swift ‘The Prisoner’
Zinfandel 51%, Cabernet Sauvignon 23%, Syrah 12%, Petit Sirah 6%,Charbono, & Grenache 2%. (I missed this one I was running my mouth.)

Taking a wine flight is a great & inexpensive way to experiment & educate yourself on what selections you prefer. Even If you are not a wine lover I would still suggest that you experience taking a flight. The information that you acquire makes for great conversation at social gatherings. Not to mention there’s something about wine that looses people up. After our flight we all moved outside on the patio for some stimulating conversation. It was a nice change of pace from your loud bar /lounge setting. Thank you all for sharing your time with me we’ll have to do it again at The Houston Cellar Classic October 13th - 19th.

Mike Landry of Pioneer Wendell Prothow & Iris Allen/Sommelier




Alicia G. Hancock of One Brown Girl Designs

Conversations flowed as wine tasters discussed subjects that ranged from marriage, dating, politic's & of course our favorite subject wine. Alice G. Hancock shared a funny story about her worse pick up line was during a church service. Someone slide her an offering envelope with a messages that said "I'm offering you my number."


This Urban Renaissance Man (Sorry, I can't remeber his name I was tipsy I mean jet lagged at this point) shared his views on children today from the standpoint of an educator. He feels that a lot of our children are smart but lack character & discipline which can cause them to lose focus in the classroom. His Social Privy Tip> "You can be as smart as you want but if you don't have the character of discipline and respect your intelligence will be useless without application of character skills which are best taught at home." On a lighter note "renaissance man" is a movie buff who's analogy of Heth Ledger's portrayal of The Joker in Dark Knight vs Jack Nicholson's version was so on point. I had no interest in seeing the film however I think I might check it out to do a comparision of my own.


These fabulous ladies took some time to enjoy their wine with a view from The Tasting Room patio. The perfect place for a playboy bunny to hid from the paparazzi (inside joke the young lady in the 1st picture's friend declined being photographed joking that she was taking some time away from the paparazzi lol ;>) Mary Kay Independant Beauty Consultant Nichelle L. Jenkins & friends obviously were in the midst of a power networking session over some delicious treats.

Social Privy Tip> Swirling your wine glass coats the side of your glass to "open up" & accentuate the appealing volatile aroma in the wine plus you look real "oh-la-la" when you do it. (lol ; >) Also one should hold the stem of the glass & cup the bottom as to not leave finger prints on the glass. Ok this next tip was given to me by a collegue. If you don't want to leave your lipstick stain on the glass (I personally don't have a problem with lipstick on a glass) then very discretly lick the rim. (Yall, I don't know about this one she is quite a prankster and I'm a crash test dummy who falls for her most jokes.)

Cheers ;.

K. Anntionette

No comments: